[Sca-cooks] OOP - Caponata recipe?

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Tue Aug 13 06:55:18 PDT 2002

Thanks for the URLs!  I dug through those links and a whole bunch of
others and finally came up with a recipe I liked the looks of.  Made it,
it tasted great hot, we'll see how it is the next day, cold with
crackers.

Caponata

1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into small cubes
1/2 medium onion
1 stalk celery, chopped small
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup+ olive oil
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1 handful green olives, rinsed and cut in half
3 or 4 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. sugar

If you're not sure about the type of eggplant you're using then salt it,
let it sit, and then rinse it - removes some of the bitterness.  Saute
the onions, celery and garlic with the olive oil in a medium sauce pan
until the onions are soft and translucent - *do not brown them*.  Spoon
them out and set aside, leaving the remaining oil behind.  Saute the
eggplant until "golden", adding extra olive oil as the eggplant soaks it
up and starts to look dry.  Put the onions et al. back into the pan and
add remaining ingredients.  Simmer covered for about 20 minutes,
stirring occasionally, until eggplant is nice and soft.

You're supposed to add capers as well - and I would have - but the local
grocery didn't have any.