[Sca-cooks] Two food allergies

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 13 09:46:23 PDT 2002

Padraig o Connell wrote:

>     Got a bit of an odd question here.
>
>     Was spending time with a lass I've recently become very fond of.    Was
> discussing recipes with her, and found out she has two food allergies.
>
>     One is to strawberries.  Since I don't use them in anything I make,
> that's easy.   The other, however, is beef.   And I'm a major beef eater.
>
>     While I can use ground turkey in places where there's ground beef
> normally used, (and she does eat pork and lamb), I'm trying to figure out
> other ways I can substitute for beef in recipes.   Any ideas?

What kind of recipes are we talking about here?  Obviously, roast beef is going
to be a problem.  There are work-arounds in almost everything else.  Try
lamburgers, or other meat in your meat loaf.  A bit of pork in your Indo-Mie
may not be /halal/ but it is tasty.

I forget who said it, but testing her out on buffalo might be a good idea.  Or
strictly organic beef;  maybe it's the hormones, etc. rather than the cow-flesh
itself that's setting her off.

Eating out is a non-problem.  Any burger joint has chicken sandwiches these
days.

Affectionately, because I care:  cutting back on the beef might not do your
cholesterol any harm either, me laddy.

Selene C.