[Sca-cooks] Home again, home again, jiggety-jog...

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 14 08:43:26 PDT 2002

Gosh, that is too bad.  I'm sorry your first "war" experience was so poor.
Maybe you should have tried a smaller event and worked your way up, and camped
with a household of friends.  If you're not lonely, you can cope with the rest
all the better.

Take me for example.  I'm a city kid, through-and-through, Jewish American
Princess.  I Do Not Camp, my idea of roughing it is a place with no room
service.  However, I do run a cushy hedonistic camp at Great Western War and
Potrero, the major weekenders in Caid.  Feather beds.  Chocolate Fondue [over
candle lanterns].  Wine, companionship and song.  My rougher, tougher,
survivalistic friends roll their eyes, but they don't turn down offers for
dinner either.

I also overheat at the drop of a barometer... last weekend's Pirate Tourney in
cool cloudy Darachshire/Ventura was bliss! I use a cool footbath on hot desert
days, as well as those "cool kerchief" thingies with the hygroscopic crystal
goo.  A friend of mine makes them in white and off-white, so as not to draw
attention to the anachronism when one is wearing garb.  We've got to get her to
put these puppies up on eBay, they are great!

Funny thing, but Caid really does not do that many 2+day events, probably since
most of "continental Caid" is within easy day-trip driving distance of central
Los Angeles.  "If two hours is a long drive or a short court, you just might be
Caidan!"   Inter-Kingdom Anthropology, ain't it fascinating?

Anywho, do try the weekender thing again, but not alone.  Maybe out west
sometime?  My favorite "blue feather" just got involved with a new S.O.
[frustrating his yenta friends completely] but we can probably find some other
nice boys who would like to meet a nice Jewish doctor.  [Ouch, a song is popping
out of my head and it hurts, be kind to your blue feathered friends, for a doc
may be somebody's brother...]

Selene Colfox, inveterate camp mom  [or is that invertabrate?]
selene at earthlink.net