[Sca-cooks] sugar substitute for wine making?

Jones, Craig Craig.Jones at airservices.gov.au
Sun Aug 18 16:45:47 PDT 2002

> Not really. Sugar is food for yeast.
> No sugar, no food, no yeast poop(alcohol).

I agree but this statement but would like to add a bit.  Some sugars are
fermentable and some are not.  Dextrose, Sucrose, Fructose and Maltose
are all quite fermentable, others get digested partially depending on
the genetics of the yeast (ie not all yeasts are equal).  Generally the
larger the sugar, the harder it is for the yeast to consume.

Wine must & honey are generally well digested, while it is hard for
yeasts to digest all sugars in malts.

There are available from good homebrew shops 'diastatic enzymes' which I
never used but are designed to breakdown residual sugars in beer.  They
make very dry beers but diabetics must still watch their intake.

Like Corwyn, I suggest making a very dry wine from wine must or honey
(using a good champagne yeast like Lalvin 1117 or 1118) and adding
artificial sweetening post fermentation.

With some nifty calcs with a hydrometer you should be able to calculated
%alc and residual sugars (in grams per l).

In any case, I suggest that he consult his doctor and drink in
moderation for his condition.

Cheers,

Drake.