[Sca-cooks] Help with Research, Introduction

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Wed Aug 21 21:07:58 PDT 2002

Lady Maud Aleyns asked:
> I am trying to track down sources or references on cookshops, preferably
> England and preferably in the 14th - 15th centuries. Any sources would be
> welcome; those with menus would be the most welcome.

Ooh! I'm interested to see what folks come up with. What do you mean by
"cookshops"? Are you including street food or just particular establishments?
We've got pictures of pretzels being sold on the street, although this may
be more of a continental thing than English.
You might also check this file in the Florilegium:

taverns-msg       (41K)  3/21/02    SCA and period taverns.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/ENTERTAINMENT/taverns-msg.html

Welcome to SCA-Cooks!

> In addition, since I'm not sure I've introduced myself on these lists, I am
> known in the Current Middle Ages as Lady Maud Aleyns.  I currently reside
> in the Barony of Sternfeld, Middle Kingdom, although I have been known to
> wander aimlessly with Mongols from time to time.  My main interests are in
> baking, cooking, brewing & vinting.

There are also a number of files on these subjects in the Florilegium.

> I am also a pursuivant specializing in sumptuary customs and armory.

SCA sumptuary laws or period ones? If the latter, and you are interested in
writing about these, I'd love to have an article on this for the Florilegium.
I have only a few bits and pieces right now. My standard practice is that
the copyright stays with the author (I just want to make this stuff
available to the Society) and I take updates or removal requests at any
time.

> In the modern world I am a married mother of a nine year old daughter, who
> still loves to bake and cook, who reads voraciously and is a computer
> junkie. ;)
If you have trouble getting to the Florilegium or using it, I bet your

daughter could help. :-) :-)

 >Strange Sternfeld Apprentice and Pretty Good Cook
Well, good cooks are always welcome. And pretty ones, too. :-)
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net