[Sca-cooks] llama and alpaca

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 22 08:34:48 PDT 2002

> As for fiber, llama is referred to as, well, llama. And alpaca is alpaca.
> There are a bunch of them up here raised for guard animals, fiber
> animals, and pets. Llama and alpaca down is very soft and spins up nice
and fluffy. The people in the Andes eat them, but I don't know that anyone
around here does. (Look! A food reference!)

> Margaret, who is also a beginning fiber geek

While my lord was away at Pennsic (I only got to go for one week) I arranged
with a friend of ours who is a flight attendant to pick up a beautiful white
baby alpaca rug from Lima, Peru.  It is soft, curly, and wonderful, and
destined to be the fur on new sets of Santa and Mrs. Claus clothes for us.
Does anyone know if folks with wool allergies will react to alpaca?
Christianna Claus