[Sca-cooks] Food Songs

Ciorstan ciorstan at attbi.com
Thu Aug 22 19:11:19 PDT 2002

Robert writes about "Bring Us In Good Ale"

> where can we hear the tune for this?

There is a sorta modern English version on Maddy Prior and Tim Hart's CD
called "Summer Solstice" originally recorded prior to their involvement
with Steeleye Span. Shanachie Records issued a reprint, and Crest (the
original English label) reissued it as well. The refrain is a little
different, but it's the same song:

"But bring us in good ale, good ale, but bring us in good ale
For our blessed Lady's sake, bring us in good ale"

The other song, "Back and Side Go Bare" has a really kick-butt
performance on Steeleye Span's "Bedlam Born," a relatively recent CD.
It's called "The Beggar" on the cd's title list, though.

I'd rather be a beggar than a king
Tell you the reason why:
A king can't swagger, nor drink like a beggar,
Nor be half so happy as I.

Chorus
    Let the back and side go bare
    Let the hands and feet go cold
    Give to the belly beer enough
    Whether it be new or old

Sometimes we lie like hogs in a sty
In a flock of straw on the ground
Sometimes eat a crust that's rolled in the dust
And are thankful it can be found.

Sometimes we call at a rich man's hall
To beg for bread and beer.
Sometimes we're lame, sometimes we're blind,
Sometimes too deaf to hear.

Chorus