Trebuchets- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Chinese tea

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 23 07:43:04 PDT 2002

<stefan at texas.net>

 Some folks have wondered
> if you could
> > survive a toss from a trebuchet, but I
suspect the
> acceleration might
> > scramble things pretty well even if you had
> parachute. Hmmm. I wonder
> > if anyone has ever instrumented a trebuchet
load
> to determine the
> > g-forces experienced?

Well, Stefan, the human body can handle some pretty
strong and sudden G forces, if properly prepared,
protected, and positioned. Certainly, there are enough
stunt types out there who regularly are shot out of
"cannons" (OK, the propellant is compressed
air, not gunpowder, but the acceleration is the same-
sufficient to propel an approximately 75-100 kg body
at an acceleration exceeding 9.8 meters per second
squared) that I'm sure that it's quite doable. In
fact, look at the decelerations the bungie jumpers
routinely experience...and this is often done at
fairgrounds, with "normal" people, not
specially trained, as the participants....Hmmm- might
straighten my back out, once and for all ;-)

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,