[Sca-cooks] dismantling animals

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Fri Aug 23 21:12:20 PDT 2002

>Oh? I know that some cuts are actually combinations of other cuts,
>but this is the first I've heard that such differances might be
>regional. How does American and European cutting of meats differ?

There are quite a few differences, especially in bigger animals such as
pork and beef (and veal).  Obviously, the bigger the animal, the more ways
you have to cut it up!

I'm brain fried just now, don't have the energy to go into difference
between French cut and American cut.  If no one else has addressed it by
tomorrow, I'll give y'all a bit of an overview.

>Gorgeous, you taught a class that had one method of cutting a
>chicken I wasn't aware of.

Which way was that?  Crapaudine?  If so, it is a fairly classic French way
to do chicken, but usualy smaller ones, especially for grilling.  How do
you usualy cut chicken?

>After Gorgeous' Pennsic class I may try that boning of the whole
>chicken/turkey method sometime.

I recommend trying on a turkey first.  smaller is harder.

I'll be editing the pictures Finnebhir took this weekend and putting the
whole thing by Monday.  I'll let y'all know.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle
Meridies