[Sca-cooks] Spices

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Fri Aug 23 22:51:42 PDT 2002

Phlip commented:
> Just relax, and play, and use your common sense.
> Unless you're Stefan, with his engineer's mind ;-),
> you'll quickly find you have a feel for how it fits.

Hey now! Engineering IS mostly common sense.

Hmmph. And you didn't seem to have any complaints about the impromptu

dish I cooked that first Wednesday or Thursday night at Pennsic,
other than that you didn't get much. There certainly was no
recipe for that dish.

Folks, what happened was that is was getting late and someone
needed to cook something for the camp dinner. Unfortunately, while
Frederick and I had picked up a ham and some other meats at the
grocery, we hadn't picked up much else.

So, I searched around camp to see what we had that could be cooked
fairly quickly. The ham was out as it was already five or six o'clock
and at 20 minutes/pound it would have taken several hours. So, what
the camp ended up with was thinly cut strips of the roast? marinated
in an Asian spiced sauce with some onions, fennel? and garlic. I might
have also added some sliced radishes, but I can't remember.
Then stir-fried it and served over German spetzel cooked in beef broth.
I added various miscellaneous spices to the broth and to the marinade.
I think the marinade also had some olive oil and balsamic vinegar added
to it.

My only problems were that it took a lot longer for that gallon and
a half of water to reach a boil for the spetzel than I thought it
would. I ended up splitting it between two pots but should have done
that earlier. Then the range ran out of fuel and I had to move to
a camp stove to finish it. And I ended up using a flat bottomed
skillet as we didn't have any sort of wok in camp.

Folks seemed to like it. I only got a small spoonful myself. But
perhaps they were just real hungry.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net