[Sca-cooks] Spices

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Sat Aug 24 07:31:39 PDT 2002

> > So I went to the Pepperer's Guild, and now I have Long Pepper, cubebs,
> > galangale, blade mace, and I don't remember what else... So now what do
> > I do? :-\
>
> What is "blade mace" and how does it differ from regular mace? Or is this
> just another name for the same thing?

If I'm not mistaken, "blade mace" is to "mace" as "cinnamon stick" is to
"cinnamon" - i.e., the whole, unground spice.

> And I ended up using a flat bottomed
> skillet as we didn't have any sort of wok in camp.

For the average American, a standard 12" flat-bottomed skillet is BETTER for
stir-frying than a wok. An American stove is (a) not hot enough and (b) not
designed to provide adequate heat up the sides of the bowl (ever watch them
cook in a Chinese restaurant? the woks sit in a ring, which suspends them
over a fire - so there's heat all the way up the sides).

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
OBTag: Member of the Society To Reduce Wesley To A Little Styrofoam
Dodecahedron.