[Sca-cooks] Icelandic Food Question

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Aug 24 21:23:26 PDT 2002

Is Nana onboard?  I've an Icelandic food question that oddly enough came
from my boss at work.  Could she or for that matter anyone else in the know
give me the low down on hackla, at least that is what it sounds like when he
pronounced it.  It is a shark meat dish which is reputedly "processed" by
burial in volcanic sand.  I need the low down on how it is indeed prepared
and what is traditionally drunk when it is consumed.  He said that what is
drunk when it is consumed is a blackberry alcoholic drink euphemistically
referred to as "death".   Any information regarding folk customs involved in
its consumption would be appreciated as well.

Daniel Raoul