[Sca-cooks] Icelandic Food Question

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Aug 25 10:38:18 PDT 2002

Also sprach Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir:
>I don't quite believe the stories of the 12-year
>old hákarl of Langanes - there was a giantess involved in most of these
>anyway so they are not quite credible.

Bearing in mind that the Romans used to call the Britons and the
Germans giants when they were over six feet tall, and also bearing in
mind that Julia Child was originally around 6' 6" tall before age and
a habit of hunching when standing alongside her shorter husband more
or less permanently reduced her height, why are these stories
incredible? Or is there something _else_ we're not being told? I
mean, and I thought it was Finland where they ground bones to make
bread. ;-) I'm wondering if Julia Child will ever be the subject of
any giantess folk tales...

>  But I've eaten a year-old shark and
>can vouch for the merits of a long curing.

   In my childhood home, it was cut into 1 cm thick slices and placed on the
   dinner table along with other Icelandic treats. Nowadays it is usually
   served in bite-size cubes and washed down with ice-cold brennivín. It is
   divided into two types, glerhákarl (glass shark), the part closest to the
   hide which is chewy and semi-opaque, and skyrhákarl (skyr shark), soft and
   tender inner parts. Both can have a pretty strong taste, not quite
   dissimilar to a very strong well matured cheese.

[Sorry, Eudora ate the quote designation in the above paragraph for
some reason]

Some authors have compared it to ripe Camembert...

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER