[Sca-cooks] Rhachitis

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 25 17:02:48 PDT 2002

--- Elizabeth A Heckert <spynnere at juno.com>
wrote:
>    I have an OT question as I have noticed there
are
> medical folk on the
> list.  In words of syllables an idiot layman (me)
> can understand, what is
> the condition rhachitis?   Does it relate to the
> hips?

Any time you see the ending, "itis" it
indicates "inflammation of" so
"bronchitis" is inflammation of the bronchial
tubes, "arthritis" is inflammation of the bone
skin, "appendicitis" is inflammation of the
(vermiform) appendix, etc.

Rhachitis refers to inflammation of the spine, but is
most commonly used to refer to rickets, which is a
bone deformation disease usually found in children,
indicating a lack of calcium, and/or vitamin D, or an
inability to process these nutrients. Yes, it can
appear in the hips, or any other bone structure that's
weight-bearing, but in an absolute sense, simply
refers to an inflammation of the spine.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,