[Sca-cooks] Sourdough

Lord Boroghul Khara boroghul at narn.pecan-tree.com
Mon Aug 26 09:07:52 PDT 2002

I too followed Ed Wood's instructions (sorry, I can't help but laugh when I
think about that.. me.. admitting to be a follower of Ed Wood....as in the
director, not the Sourdough Author)  I found that some of the times varied
greatly from his book.. I chalked that up to him not living where I was.

Started a culture at Pennsic XXVII....it's rampant... From that point on, I
tried to start a culture for each reign in Atlantia after that  Some fared
well, others...well, let's just say (as Sensei Kiri can tell you   I'm still
sorry for the way that loaf turned out, Sensei) that they come out a little
dense.

I tried an experiment at Pennsic XXIX involving a clay oven.. didn't work
too well for me, until the day after I left Pennsic to go back to work.  My
friend Miriam figured out a way to keep the door sealed.

Now that I'm active again, I'm thinking of giving it a try again. Going to
take advantage of a willing flunky (13 year old boy just fascinated with the
SCA) and try to make a bread oven I can haul back and forth with me.

I've found that keeping the culture at the consistency of a thick milkshake
works best for me, and when i'm putting it to sleep, I just put about 1/4
worth into mason jars and put them in the fridge and pray that nobody
decides to throw them out when cleaning the fridge.