[Sca-cooks] Sourdough

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 26 16:20:26 PDT 2002

The first edition of Ed Wood's book World Sourdoughs
from Antiquity has nothing in it about using juniper.
It rings absolutely no bells with me as to it being a true
story. A WWW search shows that a Juniper Creek Farm sells
a proofing box, but nothing that seems to connect junipers
with sourdough. There is a lot of folklore about sourdough
breads.  Do you recall your source? I have checked my home
library and found zero on the topic.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Isabella di Giovanni wrote:
 Correct me if I am wrong (which, according to Fergus, I never am :-) ),
but didn't the old Sourdoughs make their original sourdough from the
seeds of the Juniper tree, by mixing them with water, letting it sit a
few days and using that water to mix with the flour. I guess, therefore
using the wild yeasts, common on lots of things.