Conventions OOP was Re: [Sca-cooks] Fw: [trimaris-temp] CROWN LYST, TAVERN MENU & HOURS

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 27 09:28:53 PDT 2002

kattratt wrote:

> LOL Now That explains alot....
> I think I understand now what the Dragon Con folks were saying...
> Take this as a compliment... I understand why World Con is "High Brow"
> and Dragon Con is "Fun"
> I had never thought about the scrutiny that goes on at World Con... now
> I understand.
> Very Cool
> Nichola

I've been to several Dragon*Cons as well as WorldCons and others, and I see
what you mean.  Since Dragon*Con lives in Atlanta, the home of White Wolf
Games, a lot of gaming biz goes on there as well.  We couldn't swing a bat
without hitting a Vampire gamer, and we got some cheap kicks out of dressing up
in high vamp style while NOT gaming and giving the babies "hints" that had
nothing to do with the game.  Freaking the mundanes is easy.  Freaking the
Freaks, now that takes talent!  Bwahahaha!

A whole lot of serious business is conducted at WorldCon you know.  All the
publishers are there, and a lot of authors, from beginners to legends.  Much
networking, wheeling and dealing.  My writing career took a wide left turn in
the late 80's from fantasy to Hollywood news, so I won't have any actual
business to conduct, just fun!  For instance, Karen Anderson [Mistress Karina
of the Far West] is holding her "Jubilee" party celebrating 50 years in
Fandom.  Yup, remember guys, this subculture goes back to the 1930's after all.

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net