[Sca-cooks] honeyed milk- quote from Milham's Platina

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Aug 27 15:34:40 PDT 2002

Platina, Book II, 16.

< Much not directly pertinent snipped>

"(Milk) is better in spring than in summer, and better in in summer than in
autumn or winter. It ought to be drunk on an empty stomach, warm as it comes
from the udder, and one ought to abstain from other food until it has
settled in the stomach. It is least harmful drunk as curds at the first
course of spring and summer, for taken after the meal, as we are generally
accustomed to do, it either spoils immediately or draws other undigested
food with it to the bottom. One should also be quiet after taking it so that
it will not sour in the stomach from shaking. Drunk with either sugar or
honey it is kept from spoiling. I have said it should be drunk on a cleared
and empty stomach because it is easily converted to those humors which it
first seizes upon in the stomach. One must, however, avoid too much use of
milk, for it makes the keeness of the eyes duller and generates stones in
kidneys and bladder. We use the whey, which results when the cheese is
removed from the milk, as a medicine because it cools the liver and blood
and makes a way to purge the body of poisons."

Phlip