[Sca-cooks] Casbah! Feast, was Period Couscous References?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Aug 28 00:51:40 PDT 2002

>Yes, I just used regular storage bags. I filled them about half-way
>(that is, i put about 1 gallon of cooked chicken in each two gallon
>bag - easier to handle, as it left bag to grip - i was afraid they'd
>burst if i filled them all the way, from the weight and strain).
>
>I put the bags in the freezer and rotated them every 1/2 hour or so,
>squishing them a bit to distribute the cold, until they got frosty.
>Then i left them to freeze when i was sure they were cold through.
>
>>And then you dropped the bags of food
>>including the plastic into the boiling water to thaw and warm them
>>up???
>
>No, no, no! Would not be safe. We did immerse the bags in hot water,
>though... Someone kept pots of water simmering on a propane stove.
>Then periodically hot water was dipped out and added to the water in
>some large containers we had - tempered with cold water out of the
>spigot. I do not think the plastic the bags were made of would
>withstand boiling.

>Anahita

Sir Nathan in Calontir used to provide period food for the Calontiri
royalty at Pennsic by a version of this approach. I believe he used a
seal-a-meal or something similar, with bags that could be boiled. He
also used a high quality cooler. To cooler was paced with bags of
frozen food. For each meal, he pulled out the required bags and
dumped them, still sealed, in a pot of boiling water.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/