[Sca-cooks] Scappi

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 28 05:13:45 PDT 2002

Helewyse de Birkestad   [Louise Smithson] also owns
the Scappi and is working with it. I have had mine for several months
and showed it to Helewyse which prompted her to order hers. Then Devra
inquired where I got mine and was prompted to carry it. I am glad that
it is being sold and used. By the way the Scappi reprint is not new by
any means; it dates from 1981 and is one of the early reprints in this
series. It's been out for more than 20 years at this point.

I would suggest to you as I did for Helewyse that you see about getting
a copy or copies of the various printed Italian-English dictionaries and
glossaries that date from the late 16th and 17th centuries. Most are now
available on EEBO and can be downloaded or printed off from that
service. They have proved to be invaluable. There are also Latin-English
dictionaries and glossaries.  If you don't have access to EEBO, then you
can use the UMI microfilms and print them or scan them off the
old-fashioned way from the microfilms. I am sure that the nearest large
academic or university library in your area can provide you with more
details on EEBO or the microfilms that have been done.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

 I recently got my copy of the new Scappi reprint (Thanks Devra) and