[Sca-cooks] Scappi

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 06:44:19 PDT 2002

Tara wrote: Is anyone else on the list working on
Scappi?    Any suggestions from the experienced
translators among us?

Yes, I am working on Scappi but currently I am not
doing it as a full time translation project.  I first
need to clean up my translation of Libro.  I have been
reading it in bed for the last couple of weeks.  An
interesting choice of bedtime book admitedly.  Right
now I am most interested in using it as a demystifier
of some of the recipes in Libro.  There are places
were the instructions to the recipes are confusing and
I am hoping to find equivalents in the Scappi that
will help me clear them up.
As to suggestions for translations.  I would say that
one of the most critical is to learn your verb
conjugations.  I.E. learn to recognize the root word
under the conjugated one.  For example: The modern
Italian verb AVERE (to have) conjugates as follows:
Io HO - I have
Tu HAI - You have
Lui HA - he has
noi ABBIAMO - we have
voi AVETE - you (pl) have
lorro HANNO - they have
Without knowing the conjugation of the verb it is very
hard to find the root word in the dictionary.  The
worst thing is that the most commonly used verbs are
the ones that are the most irregular.
The other thing that may be helpful, is understanding
how to pronounce the language.  There have been a fair
number of spelling shifts, BUT the word sounds the
same.  So knowing how it sounds can be a help to
finding a translation in a dictionary.
Also check out Neopolitan Cuisine by Scully.  There is
a large list at the back that gives the
italian/dialect word (in various spellings) and the
actual meaning.
Good luck.  Should you need help don't hesitate to
contact me.
Helewyse de Birkestad