[Sca-cooks] Freezing food

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Aug 28 12:08:23 PDT 2002

>>You froze the food in regular, store bought plastic zip lock bags?
>>Freezer bags or storage bags? And then you dropped the bags of food
>>including the plastic into the boiling water to thaw and warm them
>>up???
>
>I've done this with most of my feasts. Pre-cook and bag them.
>Then, at the feast site either boil-in-bag, microwave or defrost
>and reheat. It depends on the dish and kitchen facilities
>When cooking for 300+ it is nice to have as many conveniences
>as possible. I also know ahead of time just how much food I have
>and what things need to be changed before the last minute.

What we have tended to do is a partial pre-cook. One of our favorite
soups, for example, is A Pottage from Meat (Platina). It's basically
a meat broth thickened with bread crumbs and eggs. We do everything
prior to the thickening, freeze it, then for the feast thaw, heat and
thicken.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/