[Sca-cooks] Ostkaka

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Aug 28 20:28:39 PDT 2002

Also sprach Kristina L Klingler:
>This message is in MIME format.  Since your mail reader does not understand
>this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.
>--
>Has anyone here tried/made Ostkaka?  What did you think?  Taste?
>Difficulty?
>
>Thanks in advance.  :)

Based on the recipe I just looked at (webbed), it looks a lot like A)
a crustless Italian ricotta cheesecake, and B) a bit like the Digby
cheesecake from the seventeenth century, the recipe for which begins
with milking the cow, as I recall.

The recipe I saw in English on the Web called for a small amount of
flour to be mixed in with the milk that you then curdle with rennet.
I don't know if that's typical, but the end product seems to be a
firm-curd, very stable with the added starch, fresh cheese, to which
you add cream, eggs, sugar and such.

You might consider making a cheesecake with something like very fresh
cottage cheese and a lesser amount of flour mixed in (since it
wouldn't be incorporated into the curd anyway, after the fact), and
see if you like it. It wouldn't be identical, of course, but it could
be made to be fairly close.

In either case it doesn't sound hugely difficult, only
time-consuming. You might even find a suitable Swedish fresh curd
cheese and save a bit of time that way. Still, it wouldn't be
identical.

Sounds like a lovely cake, though...

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."