[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #2334 - 12 msgs

Jones, Craig Craig.Jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Aug 28 23:06:52 PDT 2002

> I agree with HG Cariadoc, though, that there are probably appropriate
> recipes for little dishes in the Ni Tsan Cloud Forest Whatchamacallit
> (Drakey? You getting this?) and in A Soup for the Qan.

Yeah.  I'm getting it...

In 'Cloud Forest Hall Rules', I'd say:

*  Honeyed Stuffed Crabs
*  Imitation Scallops made from Fish
*  Yellow Bird Buns
*  BBQ Pork
*  Wonton (with chicken and apricot kernel paste) - not served in
broth...
*  Water Dragonlets

Other possibilities:

*  Adjust the BBQ Goose recipe so you have thin slivers of BBQ Goose
   Breast???
*  Adjust the 'Snow Temple' Vegetable recipe so that it's milk curd
wrapped
   in a bite-sized piece of cabbage and steamed?

In 'A soup for the Qan':

*  Poppy Seed Buns ,
*  Cow's milk Buns,

I can look for more recipes from this source later if you need 'em...
those are the 2 finger food items I can remember off the top of my
head...

Other possibilities:

*  If you used the small Lebanese eggplants, I reckon bite-sized
Eggplant
   Manta would be great...
*  Braised lamb heart (slice the hearts very thinly and roll them in
half
   and skewer with toothpick perhaps?

> I mean, if the
> justification for doing a Chinese meal with tea is that it is more
> period than an afternoon "tea", then you probably need more in the
> way of period Chinese recipes, or you'd just be substituting one
> non-period thing for another. It also adds credence to the erroneous
> theory that ethnic food is period by default.

Ooo yeah, I hate that.  If I see Baklava or Dolmades at another middle
eastern feast then I'm gonna scream!  And the feast where they served
chow mein quite a few years back was 'special'.  Hopefully with these 2
sources, those days are behind us.  I've still been unsuccessful hunting
down primary sukothai and ayuttayan recipes so my plan on cooking period
thai food still hasn't happened yet :(

Philp, what's the status of the 3rd Yuan chinese manuscript that they
are translating and does Paul Buell need any help?

Hopefully there are enough ideas above to get you going?  I'm happy to
send those recipes (and what redactions I have) to the person who needs
it.

Cheers,

Drake.

Ps.  I often delete great chunks of messages if I get behind.  If you
definitely want an answer on a topic, just cc in drake at sca.org.au with
[Reply you B*stard] in the title and I'll reply for sure...