[Sca-cooks] NY Times article.....

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 29 09:51:09 PDT 2002

I thought that statement was a little odd, not because it's never true,
but because the rest of the article seemed to suggest that we are
getting away from that.

In the past, I've known lots of men who cooked. But almost all of them
did fit that description...  they had a few specialties (like those
pancakes...) or they did it as a hobby. My cousin cooks, and cooks well,
and everyone knows all about it - he bakes fancy cakes, and makes
elaborate main dishes for dinner parties - but somehow, it's always his
wife who is in the kitchen because it is 6:00 and people want to eat...
I've known men who did fancy cooking for parties, and their wives did
the potatoes and the green beans and the rolls and the... but the
husband was the one who got all the credit for the elegant meal! I have
a dear friend who cooks as well as his wife, and often cooks with her,
but will never start a meal himself... Frustrates her, because, if she
is stuck at work, she comes home to him brightly saying "What is for
dinner? I'll help you - why don't we cook them this way?"  but never to
"Since you were late, I started the pork chops."

I have noticed, though, and this article otherwise suggested, that men
*are* doing more of the other cooking. Elegant things, yes, but also
every day meals. The "Well, if we're going to eat, someone has to cook"
meals. The "I got home first, so I started dinner" meals. It seems to
have been a process - most of the men I know in the first categories are
now in their fifties, most in the second are in their thirties.
(Exceptions, of course!) And the first category were, after all,
comparing themselves to their fathers, who frequently did no cooking.
So, there is motion!

Anne