[Sca-cooks] Pesto commentary/Hi, Steffan!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 18:02:44 PDT 2002

Thank you, Helewyse, for all your research!

Last January, a newby in Western Seas was telling
everyone that pesto was period because the newby
found mention of it in Esther Aresty's book.  Our
local Laurel there, who isn't a cooking Laurel,
wrote and asked if this was true.  So I did some
research and asked for help from Johnnae, who had
a copy of the Buttes book and graciously copied
it onto a CD and sent it to me.  I also wrote to
Dr. Gloning, who gave me this response:

>>>Hello Huette,

I looked up a chapter in S. Serventi/ F. Sabban:
La pasta. Storia e cultura di un cibo universale.
Roma 2000, 327ff. (Pasta e compagni), which
contains some remarks on pesto (p. 335f.).

There they say: "La prima ricetta di pesto
scritta è stata pubblicata, salvo errori, nelle
'Vera cucina genovese' del 1863, ma nella
tradizione italiana medievale si trovano
preparazioni che lasciano già affiorare lo stesso
spirito, preannunciando la grande specialità
genovese ...".

Among the recipes showing this 'spirit', they
mention Martino's 'maccheroni alla zenovese'
(with rucola and parmiggiano). But it is not more
than "lo stesso spirito".

The quotation in Italian says roughly, that the
first printed recipe that is clearly a recipe for
pesto genovese comes from the 19th century.
They say that there are earlier recipes "in the
same spirit", meaning e.g. mixing parmigiano and
an odorous herb like basil or rucola. But that is
not much, and the authors are otherwise well
versed in the texts of Martino, Scappi, Romoli,
Messisbugo, ... I assume they would have
noticed a clear recipe for pesto. >>>

So, for future inquiries, I would suggest that
perhaps Steffan add this and my other post to the
Florilegium, so that when this topic is asked
about again [and it will], we don't have to
re-invent the wheel again.

Yours,

Huette

=====