[Sca-cooks] Maraschini

Mark Calderwood mark-c at acay.com.au
Thu Aug 29 22:39:58 PDT 2002

At 00:14 30/08/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Was the ground almond mixture sweetened or moistened with something?
>It's hard to imagine it sticking together otherwise.

I couldn't taste any sweeteners so I would assume it was moistened with egg
white and perhaps a drop of rosewater, much like we make our "macaroons"/
bisket-bread. The almond flakes on the outside were slightly browned, so I
would hazard a guess it was shown the oven for just a couple of minutes,
with the juices from the cherry keeping the inside moist. Anything like
that in period-given the name maybe in Mediterranean sources?

Sort of on the same topic, does anyone have a recipe for "Nipples of
Venus", I believe a 17th-18th century recipe for almonds or cherries (can't
remember which one) coated in brandied sugar?

Giles