[Sca-cooks] Stevia

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 3 11:12:38 PST 2002

Giovanna (aka Cheri Hoyt) wrote:
>  I tried Stevia once....and I will never do so again. Save your money because
>  it's not worth the trouble. It is VERY potent and also has a very bitter
>  taste. In my book, it doesn't come even close to being a sugar substitute.

I think there are vast personal differences in taste sensitivity.
Stevia doesn't bother me, but aspartame and sucralose linger and
linger and linger...

So, if anyone is curious, i think they need to make the taste test themselves.

My recommendation is to test-taste any sugar substitute you're
curious about in very very tiny amounts first. For many, a little
goes a long way. If it isn't sweet enough, add a teeny bit more,
etc., until you find your tolerance level.

I occasionally use saccharine on the Atkins diet. I open one of those
paper packages that holds about 1 tsp. and use about 1/16 of a tsp or
less in an entire cup of spiced coffee and that's plenty for me. If i
used more i'd get a nasty aftertaste.

Anahita

BTW, i'm still catching up on the 47 Cooks Digests that came in
during the week i was gone. I don't even want to count how many
messages that makes... I edit my digests while i scan them, cutting
out stuff i'm not interested in, removing footers, etc.

And, no, i wouldn't dream of unsubbing from this list. I didn't when
i went to Morocco for a month - i did unsub from others, but not
SCA-Cooks.