[Sca-cooks] Estrella shuttle service

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 3 22:24:57 PST 2002

Mordonna The Cook (and now Mordonna the duputy shuttle autocrat) said:
>>> It looks like I'm not going to get to cook for the Royals at Estrella,

after all.  I got a huge case of helium hand and went and volunteered to

be the deputy shuttle autocrat.  With the shuttle going 12 - 16 hours per

day Wednesday thru Sunday, that kinda puts a crimp into any feast cooking.<<<

As far as I know, Estrella is the only major SCA event that has such
a shuttle. When I went to Estrella 9?, it was simply that arrangements
had been made with a commercial company. (Only after they had dropped
me off, did I find out that the closest phone to call them to pick
me up was over a mile away. This was before cell phones).

The only reason I can attend Pennsic is through the generosity of
household members who are willing to pick me up at the Pittsburg
and take me there after the event.

I don't know if this shuttle service is only workable at Estrella
because shorter distances are involved, or it is just the only place
that folks have sought to set it up. But it might be nice to have
such a service at other events such as Gulf Wars, Pennsic, An tir-West
War? etc.

Mordonna, if you, or someone else who knows the details, would like
to write up an article on the details of this program, how it is
organised, what kind of outside organisations you have needed to
work through, the logistics etc, I'd like to consider such an
article for the Florilegium. Perhaps with this knowledge some other
folks might consider doing this for other events.

Stefan
(how about dropping the "autocrat", for coordinator? or some period
term for stable organiser. Did the English king have someone who
organised his baggage train or travel arrangements?)
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com