[Sca-cooks] Thrifting was Interesting Idea for a Challenge

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 3 23:16:30 PST 2002

On where to get feast gear for newcomers:

> Thrift stores. Or swap meets.  Or a really cheap
> antique store. [Although the latter are rare.] I
> have purchased Armentale plates, goblets, and
> bowls for a couple of bucks each.  Same with
> silverware.  Same for a good tablecloth with
> napkins.  If you want to get more elaborate, you
> can also get candlesticks etc. also....
>
> I could probably buy an Armentale plate, bowl and
> goblet at a thrift store for about $10.  The
> table cloth with napkins for another $10.  A good
> silverware place setting for $5.  Total: $25.00
>
> Huette, who has haunted thrift stores and antique
> stores for decades.

Check out every store in driving range,  and repeat
the search every couple of weeks.   In NC I had about
6 in my usual rounds, plus some others I sometimes
checked out.  Another item to look for are small
platters instead of plates, this allows you and your
spouse wish to share a 'mess' -  an appropriate
practice.

I never saw brand name pewter and didn't trust what I
found in the shops to be safe for food.   I wasn't as
picky about wood though.  I rejected wood ware that
looked like it's been abused - stained, dry, cracked
or odd smelling.  What passed the visual inspection
and sniff test was scrubbed,  briefly soaked in
bleach, rinsed, dried and oil treated.  We use these
as salad bowls on a regular basis at home to keep them
in good condition.  New salad bowls are ridiculously
expensive so until these were purchased I didn't have
any.  I still keep an eye out for these as only two
are as big as we'd like, the other three are too
small.  They make good dumping bowls (what's the right
name?) at table though.

Other things to look for:

--baskets for carrying feast gear and other stuff.

--thermoses, the kind we used to carry soup in,  for
about a cup of food needing to be kept hot or cold in
your lunch basket.

--table linens or bed linens that are LINEN, not
cotton.  Can be used as fabric for clothes rather than
put to the original use.  Use good judgement here,
something in reasonably good condition could probably
be sold on e-bay to collectors of such for enough $ to
cover some SCA expenses!

--blankets and quilts to sit upon at events until you
can find/make a suitable chair(s).  If the quilt's
piecing fabric is outright modern, put it face down
and show the plainer back.  or get a thrift shop sheet
and sew that down over the offensive fabric.

--Director's chairs needing new seats and backs.  Not
period, but lot's of people use 'em.  You can make the
seats and backs - study a friend's chair to figure it
out.

Bonne