[Sca-cooks] Fw: crusaders

Jane/Bj Tremaine vikinglord at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 4 14:35:29 PST 2002

I also asked him about this(rancid meat) and below is his reply.

--------

Thanks you for your email and glad you enjoyed the article.  About rancid meat, of course you are correct in that today we know that rancid meat should not be eaten.  Alas, many historical references indicate that well until the 18th century about half of the meat consumed in Europe and the Middle-East was eaten rancid.  That is the reason that so many spices and herbs were used - in order to hide that.  That many people were taken ill because of this, and some even died, is also well documented.

Best wishes,

Rogov