[Sca-cooks] cucumbers and vegetable marrow

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 5 18:31:52 PST 2002

Maire commented:

> Her ingredient references are also inaccurate--tea as an ingredient in
> mead, use of kidney beans, references to cucumbers and vegetable marrow
> (I'm assuming zucchini here? we've actually been discussing that on
> H-costume) as "summer squashes."
Okay, the tea is right out, as are the kidney beans. But what is the

problem with the cucumbers and the vegetable marrow? I thought both
of these were native to Europe. See:
cucumbers-msg     (12K)  5/17/01    Medieval and period cucumbers. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/cucumbers-msg.html

Or are you referring to Anglo-Saxon England, since the cucumber doesn't
seem to have appeared there until the 14th century? And yes, vegetable
marrow doesn't seem to get to England until the 17th century.
marrow-msg        (22K)  1/14/02    Getting bone marrow. Recipes with marrow.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/marrow-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com