[Sca-cooks] spritz cookies

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 7 23:42:05 PST 2002

Margaret replied to my question with:

> A spritz cookie is a German unleavened cookie made with butter, eggs,
> flour, sugar, and flavoring. There are various recipes out there, but
> that's the basics. Anyway, a spritz is what happens when you force the
> aforesaid cookie dough through a cookie press. There are various plates to
> make different kinds of shapes. Spritz cookies don't spread hardly at all
> when they bake, so as to preserve the nifty shapes--this is why some of my
> cookie contribution is in little balls just as it came out of the
> cookie scoop, and some is not. :-)
>
> A photo of a cookie press, with some representative cookies:
> http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/htmlos.cgi/25300.3.535659683562676833
Thank you! I think we may even have one of these cookie press machines

here. And I've often seen similar cookies. It just never occurred to
me that you could get those complex shapes with such a machine. I
thought that that machine would simple squeeze out a tube/worm in
that shape, and that you would then cut that into cross-sections
with a knife giving cookies with a complex shape but flat on top
except for perhaps some rounding on the outside edges when baked.

It sounds like the resulting cookies would be *very* dependant

on how liquid the dough was.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com