[Sca-cooks] Beef Consomme and onion soup

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Dec 9 11:54:47 PST 2002

The kitchen I did time in made a wonderful version, complete with the veal
and all. Wonderful. Then the place was bought out by some people concerned
with the treatment of calves and stopped using all the veal products. The
difference was noticable;-(
margali

which reminds me it is time to make more for freezing. Now if I can just get
Rob to drag the big stock pot in from the barn...and convince the cow down
the road to follow me home <evil grin>

the quote starts here:
At 10:06 AM 12/9/2002, you wrote:
>I thought French Onion Soup was made with beef stock?

The classic recipe is to use beef consome, which is clarified white
stock.  Don't know many people who bother anymore, except some somewhat
anal-retentive perfectionists like me <grin>

The cost factor and the time factor are probably the primary reasons to NOT
use consome.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd