[Sca-cooks] MetalSmiths Symposium - [03] Learning

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 22:07:56 PST 2002

> I should have had printed copies of the recipe for
> each dish to be prepared -- even as something as
> simple as salad.  That would have helped each person
> who was helping with the prep to see where their
> effort
> fit in.

I print two copies of each recipe for the kitchen, one
set is taped on the wall in the general order it needs
to be started and (ideally) major steps are crossed
off and eventually taped into another row on the
walll, this time in order of serving. It helps me a
lot to have a big visual status indicator like this.

The second copy is the cooking copy.  The ideal
description of the cooking copy is that they are in
plastic sheet protectors, printed in as large a font
as will still allow it to fit on one side of the page,
or if it must be carried on to the second page,
arrange it to be flipped AFTER a step, not during.
The kitchen recipes are minus all the research detail.
 Just the ingredients list (in order of use) and the
steps stated in as few words as possible and including
an indication of the cookware and serve ware and how
to plate it up.  There is a designated place for these
pages to go while the dish is not being worked on
(while cooking, while refrigerated) so that the page
doesn't disappear before it is needed for the later
steps.  And, as you said, it  helps a lot to include
instructions to deal with the garnish or ingredients
for next step during the cooking.

Bonne, trying bravely to catch up on the back log