[Sca-cooks] Lent and vegetarian files

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 12 17:55:53 PST 2002

Margaret/Emma commented:
> I've lurked in the kitchens of Stormhold for many years, chopping and
> mixing and washing, but I've not had the confidence to actually be 'The
> Cook' for anything bigger than a supper.

I don't know if I will ever have the skill to do a large feast. However,
I do often cook period food for both SCA and non-SCA pot lucks. I have
also cooked a luncheon for the Crown and their entourage for one of our
events. Perhaps something like this might give you something you could
do that is a step below a big feast.

> My medium-term goal is to start
> psyching myself up to do something more challenging...my long-term one
> is to organise a Feast in Lent that people actually really enjoy (I'm
> mundanely a vegetarian)

If you haven't looked at them, perhaps these files in the Florilegium
might be of interest:

fasts-msg         (52K)  1/24/02    Fasts and fastdays. Food restrictions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/fasts-msg.html

vegetarian-msg    (75K)  5/12/00    Medieval vegetarianism. Lenten foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/vegetarian-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com