[Sca-cooks] Book lists and reviews

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 14 20:18:10 PST 2002

Randall Cook (was Avraham) asked:
> I have Mistress Jaelle's booklist - has she updated it recently with
> new publications? If not, will she? If not, will someone else?
Not that I know of. She has only updated the original list I had once.

However, I think she almost doubled it then. That was less than two
years ago.

Hers is not the only bibliography of such books available, even on

the Florilegium. It is however one of the most comprehensive and she
annotates which ones are good and which ones are not.
Take a look at some of the other files in the FOOD-BOOKS section for
many more descriptions and reviews of food books. Some of these are
messages captured from this list and others; Some are other reviews
and bibliographies.
Here are a *few* examples:

books-food-msg   (118K)  5/ 9/02    Books about food. Not cookbooks.

cookbooks3-bib    (20K) 10/14/98    Cookbook bibliography by Lady Allison.

cb-novices-msg    (13K) 10/14/98    Cookbooks for those new to medieval cooking.
cb-rv-Taillvt-msg  (9K)  7/14/99    Reviews of books having Taillevent's recipes
ckbks-13th-C-msg   (5K)  4/10/02    Cookbooks remaining from the 13th Century.
cookbooks-msg     (72K) 12/21/01    Reviews of cookbooks with medieval recipes.
                                       Messages posted before September 1995.

   (there are three different volumes in this fileset)

Livres-rev-art    (12K)  6/25/99    A review by Martha Carlin of a book about
                                       the history of medieval cookbooks.
Markham-msg       (10K) 12/25/01    Gervase Markham and his _The English
                                       Housewife_ published in 1615.
p-Dutch-food-bib   (6K)  4/30/01    A Bibliography on period Dutch food by
                                       Thomas Gloning.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com