[Sca-cooks] Mincemeat was beef suet

Weaver8002 at aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Mon Dec 16 06:51:17 PST 2002

In a message dated 12/12/2002 10:08:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kirsten at fabricdragon.com writes:

> have you a recipe for mincemeat handy?
> period? not period?
> sources????
> Kirsten

I've been waiting for someone to offer a period mincemeat recipe or one using
suet -- since that was the thread -- but no one has.  The following is the
mincemeat "recipe" I've been using for the last few years with some success.
I hope it's of use.

Margherita the Weaver

Mincemeat -

This is a hard recipe to write up, because I haven't made it the same way
twice.  The first time I made mincemeat, I pulled out every mincemeat recipe
I have, read them, spread them out on the table and ignored them.

Take 2-3 pounds of beef leg cuts -- what Giant is selling labeled "soup
meat," rinse it off and place in covered oven prove pot.  Cover with water
and bake at F 300 for 3 hours.

Spoon the meat out of the broth (you won't be able to use a fork on it) and
shred it.  It will be very tender -- will fall off the bones.  Transfer the
broth to another container and put aside for another use -- beef and barley
soup, maybe.  Put the meat and the marrow from the bones back in the pot.

Add six to eight grated apples, (you can replace some apples with grated
pears if you wish) and any dried fruit that strikes your fancy - I've used
dried pears, raisons -- both dark and golden -- cherries and currents.
Although I've never used them, I can see no reason not to add figs, dates,
apricots, prunes or anything else you please.

I've always added citron and made candied lemon and orange once just to put
in the mincemeat, but that's an awful lot like work.

Add brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and fresh ground nutmeg and black
pepper.  Add apple cider until you can just see it, stir well and place on a
low heat.  If you wish, replace some of the cider with rum, brandy or other
sprites.  Simmer until the cider is almost gone.  You will hear a change in
the sounds it makes at the right time.  Freeze in 3 cup contains until
needed.  My last batch made nine cups.

Its not hard, but plan on it taking all day.