[Sca-cooks] Paganism/cheese

r.carnegie at verizon.net r.carnegie at verizon.net
Wed Dec 18 08:51:48 PST 2002

> From: Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
> Date: 2002/12/17 Tue PM 07:39:30 EST
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> Subject: RE: [Sca-cooks] Paganism was RE: A new twist!
>
> That was certainly my understanding of what Pagan meant; Muslims, Buddhists, Taoists, Wiccans are  all pagans because they are not Christians... only the wiccans are heathens as well.
>
> However, my concise Oxford says that Pagan is: a heathen; unenlightened, or irreligious person - which version of the OED are you using? Mine defines Heathen as one who is not an adherent of any of the world's chief religions, esp. (one who is) neither Christian, Jew nor Muslim.
>
> Kiriel
> none of the above

  I am at work, so I will have to wait to say what it calls itself.  It is the two volume edition with a magnifying glass however.  It did mention heathen as well.  I was surprised that it did not mention the current uses of the word (what bear calls Big "P").  I have practiced neo-paganism myself and am familiar with its history and its eccentricities.  I also agree with Anahita that it is not really on topic for this list.

    With that in mind, there was the question regarding grilled chees in france, I fo not know about today, but toasted cheese is a very common 18th century receipt, and it is basically a open faced grilled cheese sandwich, I would be surprised if it does not survive in some way in France.  It could easily be ordered regardless just by describing the result!

I remain,
Ranald de Balinhard

R.Carnegie at verizon.net
"Argue for your limitations, and they are yours."
             R. Bach