[Sca-cooks] Cinnamon in Pies...

Susan Laing paxford at gil.com.au
Fri Dec 20 16:15:51 PST 2002

Actually I've yet to see a local modern apple pie recipe that called for
cinnamon - all the recipes I've used call for a "pinch of ground cloves"...
Maybe it's a family or Queensland or Australian thing [weird cultural
differences #45663 - of course I've been using the trusty cookbook I used at
school in <mumblemumble> and one of my grandmothers recipes [have to refind
that sometime])

Am now thinking of substituting cinnamon for the next tart I make and see
what it's like

Mari

It really isn't sacreligious to omit things that will kill you from your
baked goods. We always had to leave the cinnamon out for my grandmother,
because she's allergic to it. There are other spices to use in pies, after
all--cloves, nutmeg, mace, ginger, grains of paradise, pepper, cubebs,
allspice. Cinnamon is just the traditional one for apple. We never used it
peach pies at all.