[Sca-cooks] Two Feasts Webbed

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 21 21:23:31 PST 2002

Well, although i'd written the HTML months ago, i finally got them
uploaded tonight.

ONE
The West Kingdom Purgatorio 2002 Casbah! Feast is at
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/PurgCasbah.htlm

This was a feast for 150 at a camping event, and we don't have
Kingdom feasts at our Kingdom camping events. Because of the high
fire hazard we were only allowed to use propane stoves and only on
one parking lot, so many people were planning to leave the site for
dinner. Duke Fabian kept many of them around and kept the atmosphere
festive by sponsoring this feast. I made the menu, and the food was
mostly historic Near Eastern, with a couple modern dishes; the
tabouleh, for example, was requested by one of the feast organizers.
I cooked most of it at home.

TWO
Principality of the Mists Bardic and Feast, at
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/MistsBardic02_0-Menu.html

The outgoing bard, who was the feast autocrat expected 60 diners.
Apparently i'm beginning to have something of a reputation because we
fed almost 90. I divided the cooking for feast among five cooks so
that most of it was cooked ahead of time to lessen kitchen noise
while the various bards were competing.

At the Bard's request, it had food from different cultures in each
course and included modern baklavah. I'm not sorry i made the modern
baklavah, because the recipe i selected turned out to be fantastic.

There was one egregious error: I actually followed a Renaissance
Italian recipe which had quantities - and, boy howdy, was there way
too much clove in the dish. I managed to salvage it and make it
almost edible (i couldn't believe it, some folks even said they liked
it). This was the first time i ever came close to failing miserably
on a dish.

Other than that the food was a success. The feast had five courses -
first mixed, second Catalan, third Italian, fourth Near Eastern, and
fifth dessert. The opening course was sort of an hors d'oeuvre course
with a range of different dishes. Each of the three main courses had
only three dishes. The final dessert course would have had five
dishes, but i forgot to bring the flour for the fried cheese balls,
so there were only four.

THREE
And i even have a photo of myself on my website - mostly with my back
to the camera :-)
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/Anahita.html

Anahita