[Sca-cooks] Xmas eve meal was Re: cooking geese

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 25 05:59:42 PST 2002

It was so convenient that I came across this goose
cooking thread after cooking goose for the first time
ever last night.
Dinner was a success we had four courses:
1) Stuffed mushrooms taken from Julia Child's
Mastering the art of french cooking.
2) Roast goose stuffed with sausage and chestnuts,Red
cabbage casserole,steamed asparagus, fresh bread
3) Creme brulee with raspberry coulis and peaches
canned in a wine syrup
4) shrewsbury biscuits with cheese (brie, cambozola,
port salut)
To drink we had a bottle of Irish mead, with dessert
a botytris semillon (82%) sauvignon blanc (18%) from
Australia that was rich and fantastic, with the cheese
some 1994 vintage port.  Now I have always loved port
but this bottle opened my eyes, it was totally
fantastic.
I roasted the goose according to Julia Childs
instructions which call for placing the dry, salted,
pricked goose in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes,
then reducing the heat to 350 and basting with boiling
water every 20 minutes.  Turning the goose over half
way through the cooking period, then back on its back
15 minutes before the end.  For a stuffed 8lb goose
the total cooking time was 2.5 hours.  It was
absolutely fantastic, moist tender and tasty.
Louise