[Sca-cooks] gingerbread cake sauce

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 27 15:59:07 PST 2002

Brekke replied to me with:
> Recipe, PLEASE!  Memories of childhood...  School lunches, with gingerbread served this way!  Memories of the late '40's...  It was my favorite dessert.  And the crossing lady showing off her homemade gingerbread house to all the schoolchildren, when we were on our way home from school after Christmas...
> Thanks,
> Brekke, feeling very wistful
>
> <snip>  gingerbread cake (fluffier, more cake
> like. Served warm with a lemon-sugar icing when I was growing up)
This is more like aa fluffy cake. I don't think you can make a gingerbread

man with it.

I went to get my recipe for this and could find only the sauce. I suspect

that the cake was a boxed mix from the store.

But here is the sauce recipe I have. This came from my mother in 1989. I

don't know how long she had been using it before then, Probably since the
early or mid sixties.

Gingerbread sauce
1/2 C sugar
3 TB cornstarch
1/4 t salt
1/4 C margarine

For lemon version:
2 C boiling water
3 TB lemon juice
1 TB grated lemon rind (optional)

For Orange version:
1/2 C boiling water
1/2 C orange juice
2 TB lemon juice
1 TB grated orange rind (optional)

Combine first three ingredients in saucepan.
Slowly add water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Simmer while stirring
about 5 minutes or until clear and thickened.
Remove from fire and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com