[Sca-cooks] OT-knots and medieval boats

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 28 21:07:50 PST 2002

Brandu replied to me with:
> Stefan, I am currently writing a long article on boats and their evolution
> through the SCA period. I would be happy to send it to you wen I am done.

Oh, please do! I have this set of similar articles, but these are hardly
comprehensive and different viewpoints are always useful.

> Seakeeping-p1-art (84K)  8/20/98    "Seakeeping", by Dom. Pedro de Alcazar.
>                                        English naval power, 1450-1480. (1 of 2)
> Seakeeping-p2-art (99K)  8/20/98    "Seakeeping" (part 2 of 2)

> I will also be glad to send you what I have regarding the knots found in
> the oseberg find, though you might find them rather boring.

Perhaps. Maybe not. Depends on how deeply you go into details. Different folks
are going to be interested in different amounts of detail. Actually what you
gave in your message here is a good overview, although I might have had an
easier time of it than most because of the knowledge of knots I learned in
the Boy Scouts. I can still tie most of the knots I learned with my eyes
closed. Sometimes rather useful in various SCA situations such as setting
up your tent at night (what, you mean you can set up a tent in daylight??).
Some of the knots and how they are used was new to me, though.

I do have this article on knots, but the usage differs a bit from what you
have in mind. :-)
8-P-Stitches-art  (20K)  5/23/01    "Embroidery: Eight Period Stitches"
                                        by Mistress Ealasaid nic Shuibhne.

> What was found was actually some loose cordage stuff that was stored in a
> ceramic bowl, during burial, and was protected by a shield that fell over
> the bowl.
>
> The knots found are:
> Eye splices
> Toggles (a short wood bar spliced in the end of a rope and pushed though a
> loop in another rope to hold it, rather like a button).
> Square (Technically this is called a Reef knot in sailors parlance)

This is precisely where some more explanation may be needed for many people.
I easily recognise a "square knot" while "reef knot" was unknown. Others
may not recognise "square knot".

I can accept and handle jpegs and other drawing formats, if you are the
copyright holder or have permission to use the drawings. I think these
would definitely help folks visualize things.

> Overhand knots (technically a half hitch, depending on usage)
> brailing lines and crowsfeet (several lines that are joined to a single
> point to distribute stresses, usually used in sail control lines)

"brailing" or "braiding"?

I have saved this message for the info on period knots, but I'd rather
replace it with a complete article.

> Patron of the East Kingdom Nautical Guild of St Erasmus
> Master of ye Wycked Bitche, a 49 tonne lugger, plying the coaster trade out
> of Yarmouth in East Anglia.

Okay, landlubber question. Exactly what is the "49 tonne" referring to

here? Weight of the vessel? Displacement? Maybe those two are the same?
Or the wieght of the cargo it can carry? What does that work out to
in size measurments? (other than rather small, although you did say
"coaster").

Thanks,

    Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com