Subject: [Sca-cooks] Masked Ball wrap-up

Morgana Abbey morgana.abbey at juno.com
Sat Dec 28 22:27:08 PST 2002

I'll field these in the order presented.
>Do you mean a watermark that is pressed into the promo flyers? Or a
printed
>background design?
Yes, watermark as in background design--nifty feature of Word Perfect.

>So, your weather was fine, while the surrounding areas had bad weather?
Or the reverse?
Weather:  We were in the doughnut hole, just like the eye of a hurricane.
 Looked great in Buffalo, sucked everywhere else.

Sideboard:  Matzah ball soup and lentil soup, hummus, long cooked eggs,
fruit, rolls and pita, kosher dills.

>What do you mean by "warner"? My understanding was that this was another
name
>for illusion food.
Warner as in "warning"  If any are moderately aware of kosher laws, then
they knew what was wrong with these dishes.

>Are you going to post your recipes? There are a number of these that
sound
>interesting.
Recipes:  these are all Word Perfect files.  This list doesn't accept
attachments and, right now, I don't feel like reformatting them all.

>Warpath against you? Or against the feast? Or against "unusual food?"
He's very angry that even though the posted menu *did* have the
descriptions and I am quite accessable, they pulled their standard
crybaby attitudes.  No I am not exaggerating or jumping to conclusions.
This is a very long running problem here.

>what is "Turkish haroset"?What is a "tapada"?
Haroset (or charoset) is a stewed fruit and nut mixture.  Tapada is a
type of pastry.  This one is like spanikopita but with a short crust type
instead of phyllo.

>Maybe. Maybe not. If you wish to get into some catering this certainly
is
>an opening not to be ignored.
I have worked as a caterer.  I don't want the legal hassels.  Office work
is less aggravating.

Lets see if I can field this last part without *too* much hostility.

>You might well find better attendance as
>word of this feast spreads. You might also try to cultivate the taste
for some
>of these foods by introducing one or two at a time at baronial pot luck
or
>other similar opportunities.

As I have said, this is an ongoing problem.  I cooked kingdom Twelfth
Night (Jan 2002) which was a sell out.  I have brought dishes to numerous
events, sideboards, etc.  Most of the reservations for this event were
from out of area people who wanted the feast.  What is going on here is
stereotypical stick jock syndrome.  They cry like freakin' babies at the
thought that *maybe* they should learn something about the times and
places that this society is chartered for.  They think pre-17th century
*might* apply to clothes at times but they shouldn't have to eat anything
more challenging than a happy meal.

In general, this barony is suffering from self-inflicted brain drain.
They cry that no one wants to take on offices/events/etc, but the moment
someone does (and especially if they do it well), it's open season.  So
the best people only play at kingdom level.   Kingdom actually
apppreciates good work.

That about covers it.

Morgana