SC - carrots added to other dishes.

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Dec 1 09:22:04 PST 2002

While I don't know about using a carrot for this, adding a piece of kombu
sea vegetable to beans adds the digestive enzymes we lack to digest the
raffinose sugars on the coating of beans, and reduces the flatulence
factors.  A bay leaf will also help this, and reportedly so does
asafoedita (sp?).  Soaking beans and discarding the soaking water removes
much of the coating of raffinose, and so helps this as well, or you can
add Beano to the pot of beans (or take it directly) to add those
much-needed enzymes.
I learned about adding carrots to my spaghetti sauce years ago, and
gladly chop them up and cook them in, and enjoy eating them as well.  But
then, I like my sauce chunky with onions, mushrooms, red and yellow
peppers (have never like the green ones) to add interest and more veggies
to the serving.
Christianna

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:41:45 -0800 (PST) Nisha Martin
<nishamartin at yahoo.com> writes:
> Hi
> In my family,we've always added a whole carrot to a
> "pot of beans" for other reasons. But dont eat it, or
> feed it to the dog, THROW IT OUT. It does seem to cut
> down on the gassiness. Butthe carrot seems to have
> some effedct too, as well as adding to the flavor in a
> subtle sweet way.
> Nisha
>
> On the Italian half of my family, we add a whole
> carrot to the
> sauce and let it cook with it, so that we can take it
> out after.

> SCA-Cooks".

===