[Sca-cooks] Period sources

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 2 20:48:34 PST 2002

There is probably something in the Florilegium, but you might want to
recheck the articleto see what they say precisely.  Platina's De Honesta
Volputate (1475) is the world's first printed cookbook.

Earlier cookbooks are:

De re coquinaria  --  possibly 1st Century, earliest known editon about 6th
Century
Libellus de arte coquinaria  --  late 12th-early 13th Centuries
al-Baghdadi  --  1226
Viandier --  1250-1300
Anonimo Veneziano  --  14th Century
Opusculum di saporibus --  1330s
Daz bouch von gouter spize -- 1345-54
Viandier of Taillevent -- late 1300s
British Library, Additional MS 5016  --  late 1300s
Bodelian Library, MS Douce 257  --  late 1300s
Le menagier de Paris --  1393
Du Fait de Cuisine  --  1420
British Library, Harleian 279 -- 1430
Rheinfrankishe kochbuch  --  1445
British Library, Harleian 4016  --  1450

Bear