[Sca-cooks] Looking for pottage recipe

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 3 21:08:20 PST 2002

> A few years ago I attended a feast that had a
> pottage with oats and
> spinach in it.  I do not remember anything else
> about it other than it
> was really good.
>
> Does anyone have a recipe that might be similar?

Look in the Florilegium under foods-celtic (Or if
might be foods-Ireland) and you should find several
variations on a soup involving oats and greens.  I
know one is buried in my write up for a celtic/viking
feast.  Recipes I found called for cabbage or kale,
but spinach may have been the best choice for the
circumstances of the meal you were served.  It would
be quite delicate made with spinach.

Basically, cook the oats and stir into a great deal of
milk, cook the greens, drain and finely chop, add to
the oaty milk, warm gently.  McCann's Irish oats or
some other cut oat will have a better texture than
american rolled oats.    If you had sauteed some onion
in butter you could add that to the soup also.  Salt
and Pepper to taste.

Bonne