[Sca-cooks] Cookies

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Wed Dec 4 18:12:42 PST 2002

Moravian Spice Cookies
Makes 6 dozen (I actually only got about 4 1/2 dozen out of it)

2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tbsp corn oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp each ground cloves, ginger, allspice
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups AP flour

Melt butter over low heat until it turns light brown. Add molasses, brown
sugar and oil. Transfer to mixing bowl and allow to cool 5 minutes. Add
spices and baking soda, stirring well. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and
beat until just blended. Wrap in plastic wrap and rest in refrigerator for
at least 2 hours and up to 3 days. Preheat oven to 350F. Working with
smallish portions of dough at a time, roll out as thin as possible - ideally
less than 1/16 inch. Cut out cookies with a 2" cutter and place them 1/4
inch apart on cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes until crisp and barely
browning on the edges. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container
up to 3 weeks.

Notes: The batter was very dry and crumbly as written - I added several
tablespoonsful of ice water (like a pie dough), which made it cohere much
better, and made for a much more pliable dough when rolling. After this
experience, I will NEVER make another rolled cookie..... for any reason. :-/

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: PRIME DIRECTIVE, MY A**! Phasers on maximum!

---