[Sca-cooks] Gourds, pumpkins was 2002 Cook's Symposium

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Dec 5 21:41:15 PST 2002

Naw...what she did (IMNSHO) is use a period recipe as an excuse for a
modern pumpkin pie....the two dishes had a few ingredients in common,
and that's about it.
Some of her others are actually worse...lord, what she did to a
cheesecake-type thing (with cherries and rose petals baked into it).
Ugh.
The whole cookbook's rather an interesting study in mid-20th c. food and
food preferences.
Of course, it's very easy to *not* see things that might be really
obvious to others...things like redactions that call for browning meat
or poultry, because that's a common step in modern, similar recipes,
even when it doesn't occur in the originals, or redactions that leave
out all kinds of spices--sometimes fairly important ones for the
recipe--just because the redactor doesn't like them.
--maire